The story I just finished reading the story "Am I Blue ?" by Bruce Coville. This story is about a sixteen year old boy named Vincent. He's gay and he gets bullied but, his fairy godfather- Melvin - helps him and shows him, who people really are with three wishes.
In the beginning of the story Vincent gets beaten up by, Butch Carrigan and Vincent gets called a "fruit" and a "faggot" for checking him out, and it's wrong to just bully someone because he's checking someone out or for being gay. In the real world bullies sometimes bully other people because they could possibly be getting bullied to and just takes their anger out on other people or sometimes they don't like being what/who they are (like being gay) and they would also, take out their anger on other people.
In the story Vincent has three wishes and he uses one to make everyone in the country turn blue and I quote " Gay fantasy number three coast-to-coast ," and gay fantasy number three is one of the very wishes that fairies wanted to happen was, make everybody in the country turn blue to show people who they truly are and if they are gay. Another wish he made was " I want you to turn Butch Carrigan blue ," and after Melvin came back he said ," Butch Carrigan was already blue as a summer sky when I got there." One quote that stood out was " That congressman stayed on my mind. I couldn't forget his hypocritical words about 'The great crime of homosexuality' and 'The gay threat to the American youth' ."
So why are people so hypocritical about homosexuality, when they could be homosexual ? Is it of the bullying or would they just be embarrassed ? I think people should stop over exaggerating about homosexuality especially, those whoa re homosexual, they shouldn't try to hide and turn into hypocrites. Parents or other people could try to prevent their loved one from turning gay but, they shouldn't make a whole big deal out if it to make a law about same sex marriages now or be hypocritical, and try to stop the entire country from being who they are.
In the end Vincent starts accepting himself but very slowly " And my third wish? I've decided to save it for when I really need it-maybe when I meet the girl of my dreams. Or Prince Charming. Whichever." I think the message Bruce Coville is trying to send is to be who you are and to be proud too because, we're all different and you can't be like everyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment